Playas del Coco is one of Guanacaste’s biggest beach towns and is full activities, excursions and day trips. Extend your visit to Coco beyond the Blues Festival to experience the best Guanacaste has to offer.
Experience Coco is here to help you plan the perfect trip to Coco. Below are some of the most popular activities in the area. To book any tours that don’t have reservation links, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and they’ll help you out. They also have exclusive discounts on many of the activities listed below.
As the Blues Festival happens during high season, advance booking for activities is highly recommended. This is especially true for any private tour, diving, fishing charters, and any other tour that only happens once a day.
Top 5 Must-Do Activities in Playas del Coco
- Get Out On A Boat. Whether you want to sail into the sunset, visit some of the best beaches in the area, or join a booze cruise, an afternoon (or full day) on a boat is a must in Coco. Our top recommendations are the morning snorkel and sail on the Sea Bird, an afternoon on the Marlin del Rey or a private, custom tour with Rockdivers Costa Rica. (If you go with Rockdivers, ask them about visiting the oldest bar in Costa Rica!)
- Go Off-Roading. Looking for a unique adventure not many people get to have? Check out off-roading with Viva La Costa Offroad Adventures. Unlike your typical off-roading tour, they have Tomcars, originally designed for military use, for an extra level of adventure. Their Beach Tour takes you to some of the most beautiful lookouts and beaches Guanacaste has to offer, while the Back Country tour gives you a behind-the-scenes look at local Costa Rica culture.
- See Sloths in the Wild. If seeing a sloth is on your bucket list, this tour is a MUST. Visit a private property at the base of the Tenorio Volcano, famous for sloths and other wild life, and stop at your choice of either the beautiful Cortez Waterfalls or the famous Rio Celeste (blue river) waterfall.
- Go on an adventure at Rincon de la Vieja volcano. If you’re looking for an action-packed day, you’ll want to head to the Rincon de la Vieja volcano. There are several options around the base of the volcano that will provide similar adventure combos. Our favorite is Hacienda Guachipelin, with ziplining, horseback riding, whitewater tubing, lunch and the hot springs for less than $90 per person when booked through Experience Coco. You can also have a similar adventure on an all-inclusive tour from Coco.
- Try deep sea fishing. Coco has some of the best deep sea fishing in Costa Rica. Depending on the time of year, you can catch marlin, sailfish, rooster fish, mahi mahi, red snapper and more. There are many options in the area – we recommend Gonzalez Sport Fishing if you’re looking for a smaller boat or budget option and Dream On Sport Fishing for a luxury fishing experience with the experts. Mention Experience Coco to either company for a special discount.
Top Adventure Activities in Playas del Coco
- Ziplining at Diamante. The zipline at Diamante is the most well-known in the area, famous for being the longest ocean-view zipline. It’s about a 20 minute drive from Coco and can be done alone or in combo with other activities. Book via Experience Coco to save 10%
- 4-in-1 adventure combo. As mentioned above, if you’re looking for adventure, the adventure combos at Rincon de la Vieja are the thing to do. Our recommended tour is the ziplining/horseback riding/tubing/hot springs adventure at Guachipelin. Book via Experience Coco to save 10%.
- Exploring on an ATV. If you’d like to get offroad a bit, head out on an ATV tour through Playa Panama and Sardinal, stopping at the Tempisque River and a beautiful lookout point of the Gulf of Papagayo and more.
Best Family Friend Activities in Playas del Coco
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park. There’s a reason that Diamante is considered one of the top attractions in the area and if you’re visiting Coco with kids, it’s one you won’t want to miss. There are a few options for visiting Diamante – just the animal sanctuary, the sanctuary, jungle ropes course and cultural tour, and the all-inclusive pass with all of the mentioned, plus lunch and access to the beach. Depending on the age of the children, we typically recommend the full day pass. Book via Experience Coco to save 10%
- Palo Verde River Boat Tour. Palo Verde is a tour perfect for all ages, from 9 months to 90 years. The Tempisque River, which runs through the Palo Verde National Park, is home to crocodiles, various monkeys, iguanas, birds and more. The river boat cruise is an hour and a half to two hours and kids are always excited to spot the many animals. Self-drive and all-inclusive tour options available.
- Sea Bird Sailing. While most of the open boat tours allow kids on board, some are more family-friendly than others. The Sea Bird sailboat is our top recommendation for families. All groups are kept small, the crew is fantastic with kids and kids under 5 are free! Save $5 when you book via Experience Coco.
- Private Boat Trip. If you’d like something more personal and custom for your family, a private boat trip is the way to go. Whether you’d like to head out on a private yacht for the day or spend a few hours on a panga, there’s an option for everyone. Contact Experience Coco to find the perfect boat option for you.
Best Day Trips from Playas del Coco
- Nicaragua. Playas del Coco is under 2 hours from the Nicaragua border, making Nicaragua an accessible day trip. On a full day tour, you can visit the colonial city of Granada, take a boat tour of Lake Nicaragua, see the Masaya Volcano, shop at the famous Masaya market and more. It’s a long day but well worth it!
- Arenal. Interested in seeing the most famous volcano in Costa Rica? It’s easy on a guided day trip from Coco. Hike to a stunning lookout point, zipline through the jungle or enjoy a nature walk, relax in natural hot springs, and do a bit of shopping in La Fortuna.
- Monteverde. Another popular destination easily reached on a day trip from Playas del Coco. Experience the famous cloud forest via hanging bridges and then choose between visiting the Butterfly and Hummingbird Gardens, zipline canopy tour or tour an authentic coffee farm.
These are, of course, just a few things you can do in the area. Diving is another popular activity, there are a few beautiful waterfalls and national parks to visit, canyoning or rock climbing, cultural tours, and a unique rum experience and so much more.
Stop by the Experience Coco Tourist Info Center in El Pueblito Norte, above Java Coffee, for more information on tours and exclusive discounts or email them at email@example.com for help planning your trip!
See you at the Blues Fest!